Linux For Dummies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BackTrack 5 KDE VMware tools install

2 posters

Go down

BackTrack 5 KDE VMware tools install Empty BackTrack 5 KDE VMware tools install

Post by CureMyMind Sat May 14, 2011 11:08 pm

This is to show you how to install vmware tools for BackTrack 5 KDE and will also work with GNOME... Just one more thing in KDE which I will show you where..

1. Install BackTrack 5 Either KDE or GNOME.

2. Install ARK simply b/c I don't want to use the command line for extracting. You can extract with the following command.
Code:
root@bt:~# tar -zxvf file.tar.gz

NOTE: where it says file.tar.gz is the vmware tools. But for me I will extract with the right click mouse with the 1st install of the ark.

3. Install ARK
Code:
root@bt:~# apt-get install ark

4. Install the headers, which you will do for both KDE and GNOME in the same manner...
Code:
root@bt:~#apt-get install linux-headers
NOTE: You can also check if the right headers is installing by going to terminal and typing in uname -r and seeing if it is actually what you need... The kernal tho should be 2.6.38 which should be the same for the headers.

5. Copy the vmware tools to a folder, I made a folder on the desktop and called it root. And in that folder I made another called it programs so I put the vmware tools there and extracted with the right click of the mouse. The directory to that would be this.
/root/Desktop/root/Programs/

6. Once you exctracted the file you want to open up ther terminal or what ever cli you like. And cd your self over to it. In my case that would be.
/root/Desktop/root/Programs/vmware-tools-distrib/

So it should look like this in the terminal.
root@bt:~/root/Desktop/root/Programs/vmware-tools-distrib/#

7. Now install the vmware tools.
Code:
root@bt:~/root/Desktop/root/Programs/vmware-tools-distrib/# ./vmware-install.pl

8. Just Hit enter for everything till you get to the headers thats where KDE needs some help. GNOME does not need this help but if it do you will know what to do.

If you get this.
Code:
Searching for a valid kernal header path...
The path "" is not valid.
Would you like to change it? [yes]
Hit enter and type this in.

Code:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38/include/
So it looks like this and hit enter.
Code:
Searching for a valid kernal header path...
The path "" is not valid.
Would you like to change it? [yes]

What is the location of the direcotyr of the C header files that match your running
kernal?/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38/include/

The path "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38/include/" appears to be a valid path to
the kernal headers of the running kernal.
Would you like to change it? [no]
NOTE: Don't forget the foward slash at the end of include and at the begining of usr.

9. Now just follow though like normal and your set... Fix the booting splash with fix-splash command and reboot and enjoy.

CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

https://curemymind.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BackTrack 5 KDE VMware tools install Empty Re: BackTrack 5 KDE VMware tools install

Post by BL4CKS4B3R Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm

I like this very much.
BL4CKS4B3R
BL4CKS4B3R

Back to top Go down