Linux For Dummies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BackTrack Firefox Auto upgrade

Go down

BackTrack Firefox Auto upgrade Empty BackTrack Firefox Auto upgrade

Post by CureMyMind Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 pm

I got these notes from these two webpages. Remember if you are not in root use sudo then space then the command I posted.

Firefox Download
And where I got my notes to do this tutorial.
Source Forge TUT

Add this key to BackTrack works on version R1 and R2 in konsole
Code:
root@bt:~# apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29

Then add this to software sorces. or to /etc/apt/sorces.list file in R2 version you will have to open up sorces.list because the gui doesn't work right now. But we are going to use the manual way in my tutorial so it should work for both versions.

Open up your favorit text editor I will use gedit. use this command in konsole
Code:
root@bt:~# gedit /etc/apt/sorces.list

Add this to the bottom of what ever is there.
Code:
deb http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main

Then reload the repositorys using konsole. You can use Synaptic Package Manager by typing synaptic in the konsole. Then in the gui of Syanpatic Pakage Manager press the read load repositories. But I am going to use the shell/konsole way.
Code:
root@bt:~# apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Now like I said on the top to open up the gui open up konsole and type in synaptic and look for firefox-mozilla-build. You had to reload the repositories inorder for synaptic to know that there is a new one. If you don't it will not load the current one. Now everytime you want to see if there is a new firefox just reload the reposiories by the apt-get update then apt-get upgrade command. Remember to use sudo if you are not in sudo.

If you never installed the new one it will not update it in apt-get upgrade after apt-get update. When you first do this you will have to install the new Firefox after that you do those two command I mentioned and it will update on its own.

To install the new firefox manually use this command.
Code:
root@bt:~# apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build

You can also install thunderbird-mozilla-build and seamonkey-mozilla-build using the install commands or the gui of synaptic like I said on the top.

If you are still having problems understanding just ask here is a video for all the top. Even tho the top has more of an explination.
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

https://curemymind.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down