Linux For Dummies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crazy Lag BT4

2 posters

Go down

Crazy Lag BT4 Empty Crazy Lag BT4

Post by WokkaWicklo Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm

So I've recently installed BT4 along side Win 7. Following the Win 7 installation I also had lag but that was down to the graphic (Nvida) driver needing to be updated, problem solved. Now I have BT4 duel booted and I'm experiencing the same kind of lag. Do I need to update driver in this os also? Conky shows cpu max'n out when bash/internet windows are moved/adjusted. I wanted to try and figure it out while on BT4 but its just too slow and rebooting from Win 7 every time I get a line of code to try and inevitably fail is just wrecking my head...any help?
WokkaWicklo
WokkaWicklo

Back to top Go down

Crazy Lag BT4 Empty Re: Crazy Lag BT4

Post by CureMyMind Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm

You could try this...If you haven't already

Code:
root@bt:~# dpkg reconfigure xserver-xorg

I click or I think you use the arrows to select. But For the frame buffer I select no and also for the 2nd question. Which I think it's about the keyboard. If keyboard is working fine you do not need to re-detect it.

What Kind of comptuer is it? Like the bran/model # of the pc and the spec's of the Nvidia graphics card...

I've never had good luck with the graphics installation that Nvidia gives out. But you could go to their website and get the drivers there. You'd of course select your model # of your Nvidia and then select for linux os.

But if you give me the model # of your Nvidia grapics, I can searh for it for you and tell you how you'd go about installing that on your BT.

Sorry for this late reply, life get's in the way when you want to have fun Smile......Just let me know how you want to go about doing this and I'll try to figure it out with you. Smile
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

https://curemymind.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WokkaWicklo Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 pm

My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ60, AMD Sempron 2.1 GHz 32bit OS
Nvidia GeForce 8200M G. I'll try that code, ta lad
WokkaWicklo
WokkaWicklo

Back to top Go down

Post by WokkaWicklo Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Rite so I just tried to fire up BT4 to wack the piece of code you gave me but was greeted with "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode" (just after I logged in) giving me a few options all of which sent me back to the original msg which is (EE) problem and error parsing the config file.

When axed how do I want to configure my display the only option that actually does something is run ubuntu in low graphics mode. When I was suddenly looking at a logon screen an Ubuntu login screen looking for password and user name neither of which I had, unfortunatly the aul root/toor trick didnt apply here.

Seems like Ive disappeared rite down the rabbit hole...........shite
WokkaWicklo
WokkaWicklo

Back to top Go down

Post by CureMyMind Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:25 pm

When You Instaleld BackTrack, did you do any modifcations after you installed it? Because I've only seen that low graphics mode on something modified. How Exactlly did you install? Also was it from a burnt dvd? And how did you burn the dvd if you did that?
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WokkaWicklo Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 am

Yeah I done quite a few "modifacations" mostly graphic related. I was following directions from another forum, cant remember now exactly what it was but I think it was the app get function for Nvidia. It was burnt @ x3 by imgburn onto dvd.

I should start again rite? Or is there a defalut username/password for the ubuntu login screen? You know things are rough when you cant even turn on BT4 never mind do out else
WokkaWicklo
WokkaWicklo

Back to top Go down

Post by CureMyMind Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't remember how I did it last time but I think it was like alt or contrl 1 or f1 or f7 or control 7 or alt 7 or some variation to get into the root...

For some reason the root account gets disabled... You either have to find a way to get into it and renable it or re-install everything.

As you said start over. You can google how to enable root account in ubuntu or if you want i can look for my notes and tell you... But right now i cant find them, and im trying to give you fast reply.

When you do modifications to you BackTrack you might want to make a user for things like this. I would suggest but...

But try to go back to CLI and go into the root account and google "enable root account"... Then it should give you back the root account. hopefully..

Well best of luck and come back if you need any further assistance Smile.
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum