Linux For Dummies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BT4-And beyond wireless card

3 posters

Go down

BT4-And beyond wireless card Empty BT4-And beyond wireless card

Post by WokkaWicklo Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Ok, I have tried v. hard since I managed to get BT4 installed on VM Ware which for me is a fair achievement, to get access to the internet and programs requiring wireless connection . From what I can gather the problem is BT4 is either not compatable with or just cant see my network adapter (which I presume is my wireless card?) Ive a compaq cq60 of which I think uses Atheros Are5001 but could be corrected on that. At the moment Im using a wireless connection but at weekends I use a lan cable to my router. Getting to my problems, Im at the very start of my linux/BT4 conquest and need a guide to help me with my first step. Results with Interface/Chipset/Driver are all blank following the airmon cmd. Also I obviously cannot get online either.
So my queries are as follows: I think my laptop is capable of the task after searching through forums/youtube etc but realise I may need a usb with antenna which if is the case then thats cool I'll get one and figure it out.

Secondly: Can a standard dongle do the afforementioned opperations?

Ive tried all codes that I have found in common to make airodump/airmon/internet operate. Also dmesg|tail -20 which comes bk as: eth0: no IPv6 routers present. Just as proof Im not looking to be baby fed at the fist sign of trouble.

I realise this all seems very lame but Ive gotta start somewhere and will have no problem helping someone when I become ninjafied in BT4.

If more details are required no problem, I maybe a bit vague....

Last edited by CureMyMind on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better title)
WokkaWicklo
WokkaWicklo

Back to top Go down

BT4-And beyond wireless card Empty Re: BT4-And beyond wireless card

Post by CureMyMind Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 pm

To address the first things. It's usually not BackTack that has a compatablity with new hardware. Linux has come a long way since then. But you are trying to see your wireless interface though a vmware. Which vmware is lacking the support for. I doubt that vmware will ever suppot integrated cards. So yes a usb wifi dongle will make wireless work on vmware. But if you burn BackTrack to dvd or memory stick you are able to use the wifi on your compaq.

If you want a full discription of what linux is seeing on your computer you can use this command.
Code:
root@bt:~# lspci

Which stands for list pc information
ls-list
pc-personal computer
i-information

The reason I give you a full detail discription is so people read before they ask.

I do know that Atheros Are5001 uses rtl8187 drivers that BackTrack has. I have found that Gsky from ebay is very cheap. But if you don't mind spending the extra cash I would go with an alpha. gsky runs about 20 dollars on ebay thats shipping and everything. The alpha can get around 30 plus dollars. But the cool thing about the alpha is that they have a higher wattage for a more clear connection to the AP. Also the EDUP wireless usb adpater is very cheap to and uses the zd1211rw drivers from backtrack. I belive that dongal runs about 10 dollars and its for PSP, NDSL, and wii. Which I got and actually has zero problems. But remember the cheaper doesn't always mean the best. I got it with a 5dbm antena and its good and all. But it's really up to you how clear you want the connection.

If you want a standard dongle. Before ordering one make sure that it is compatable with aircrack. But the new hardware being made should be compatable with Linux.

Have you tried live dvd or memory stick?
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

https://curemymind.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WokkaWicklo Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 am

Thanks for the concise explaination. Some how I new I'd regret d/l BT4 in a VM Ware image. So I'll start there. Slight mistake with the Atheros its AR5k7 802.11 but thats neither here nor there now I'll splash out for an EDUP.
I have yet to find such a breakdown like you did with the small bit of code above, know any good spots online thats step by step like?
Or maybe I can continue asking questions here??

Appreciate your forum Cure...
WokkaWicklo
WokkaWicklo

Back to top Go down

Post by CureMyMind Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 pm

WokkaWicklo wrote:Thanks for the concise explaination. Some how I new I'd regret d/l BT4 in a VM Ware image. So I'll start there. Slight mistake with the Atheros its AR5k7 802.11 but thats neither here nor there now I'll splash out for an EDUP.
I have yet to find such a breakdown like you did with the small bit of code above, know any good spots online thats step by step like?
Or maybe I can continue asking questions here??

Appreciate your forum Cure...

You can continue asking here your oginal questions will never be closed. This is the reason I made this forum for questions like yours and a better explination. Most of these commands that will be explained in this forum are from lots of research and experiance. Honestly I really do not know any forum that explains or gives you the extra commands, but maybe Ubuntu forums will. For a futher explaintion of any questions asked here, about any commands we here will direct you to the website. For a further detail about the command. But then again you can just google the command and get it faster then we can sometimes give it.

Also, I have downloaded the vmware of BackTrack and I honestly don't like it. I'd rather stick with the live cd, it's easy to install. In the live iso without burnning it in vmware you get to pick your own settings like when installing the vmware tools. You can look at the tutorials of how to install vmware tools that I posted. That is in Tutorials post's. I also provide a video right on the forum, with a detail explination and every command I use in the video.

Best of luck and I hope you get that strighten out and start learning more Linux, its just the best.
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dder Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:43 am

isnt there some way around needing to use a seperate usb adaptor for backtrack because when i installend windows 7 on vmware player i was able to acces the internet wireless with just setting the network adaptor to bridged is the setup of the virtual macine

so why can it be done with win 7 and not with linux systems like BT or ubunto ?

dder

Back to top Go down

Post by CureMyMind Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:46 am

dder wrote:isnt there some way around needing to use a seperate usb adaptor for backtrack because when i installend windows 7 on vmware player i was able to acces the internet wireless with just setting the network adaptor to bridged is the setup of the virtual macine

so why can it be done with win 7 and not with linux systems like BT or ubunto ?

Vmware in different system's are different.
CureMyMind
CureMyMind
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down